During the UFC Fight Night: Costa vs. Vettori media scrum UFC boss Dana White confirmed that a Nate Diaz fight is in the works. This comes as somewhat of a surprise due to the fact that the UFC is infamous for benching fighters on the last fight of their contract – in order to resign them and prevent them from becoming free agents.
Nate Diaz was confirmed to be on his last fight when the potential match up against Vicente Luque was discussed. Luque’s manager infamous UFC company man Ali Abdelaziz confirmed as much saying:
“Listen, I believe Nate Diaz has one fight left on his contract,” Abdelaziz told MMA Fighting in a recent interview. “I like the [Luque vs. Diaz] fight. I think it’s a great fight. I think the UFC, it’s a business, they want to make money and I think Nate and Conor [McGregor] will make them so much money.”
“I think the only way the UFC will agree to make this fight happen [is] if Nate re-signs with the UFC. But I don’t know if this is good for Nate to re-sign with the UFC.”
Other potential matchups for Diaz include Tony Ferguson – who he had a back and forth with on twitter and Conor McGregor triology.
— Nathan Diaz (@NateDiaz209) October 22, 2021
One person to reply to this tweet was McGregor – who is still clearly interested in the triology:
While the Tony Ferguson match up has fans excited – it’s reportedly not up for grabs. UFC boss Dana White told the media:
“Yeah, he’s got one more fight. We’re working on a fight for him. Tony wasn’t one of those guys we were working on but we’re working on a fiver for Nate now. He’s got one fight left.”
Meanwhile Ferguson appears to be more interested in McGregor. One interesting fact is that the two used share a manager in the hayday of their careers. Since then Ferguson has swapped managers and completely revamped the team he’s working with. While accusing McGregor of using Human Growth Hormone (HGH) certainly made an impression on McGregor – it went a little too far with the irish sports star threatening with murder.