(Video) Referee injures man during MMA event, trying to untangle his toes from the cage

Oktagon MMA, a renowned Czech-based MMA promotion, recently organized its highly anticipated event, Oktagon 44, on June 17 in Oberhausen, Germany.

The event showcased an array of compelling matchups featuring both seasoned veterans and emerging talents, providing an entertaining spectacle for the fans. However, an unfortunate turn of events occurred during the main event clash between Antun Racic and Nuno Costa.

Antun Racic is a seasoned competitor with extensive experience in the MMA cage. He has been actively competing since 2009 across various local promotions. With a career comprising 27 wins and 11 losses, Racic possesses a wealth of knowledge and skills in the sport.

On the other hand, Nuno Costa, a 34-year-old Brazilian, boasts an impressive resume, having made his debut in 2014 and amassing a remarkable 12-wins in a row. Costa currently holds a total record of 15 wins and 3 losses, reflecting his prowess inside the Octagon.

Initially, Costa appeared to be the more likely contender to emerge victorious in the match. As soon as the opening horn sounded, both men engaged in a fierce battle, displaying their skills and determination. However, an unusual accident unfolded when the action transitioned to the ground.

During an intense grappling exchange, Costa’s toes became entangled in the netting of the cage, leaving him in a compromised position. Meanwhile, Racic capitalized on his advantageous top position and delivered a series of well-placed punches. Gradually, the referee noticed that something was amiss and attempted to assist by shaking and pulling Costa’s leg.

Unfortunately, the referee’s attempt to free Costa seemed to be misguided, resulting in an unintended injury. After finally freeing his leg, Costa immediately waved his hands, signaling his inability to continue the match.

For Costa, losing in such an unfortunate manner undoubtedly left him disheartened, considering the rarity of this type of accident in mixed martial arts matches. The incident serves as a reminder of the unpredictable nature of the sport and the potential risks involved, even in seemingly routine situations.

The footage capturing the incident quickly circulated on social media platforms, drawing attention to the peculiar turn of events. While accidents like these are infrequent, they underscore the importance of ensuring athlete safety and the need for referees to exercise caution when intervening in such situations.