Eddie Alvarez is a free agent – done with ONE FC

According to a source who spoke with the SCMP, Eddie Alvarez and ONE Championship have gone their separate ways. Early termination of his contract was agreed upon by both parties. He is a free agent, it is unknown how many bouts were left on his contract.

Alvarez (30-8, 2 no-contests) is a former lightweight champion of the UFC. He has not competed in the martial arts organization located in Singapore since the defeat he suffered against Ok Rae-yoon by a majority decision in April 2021.

Eddie Alvarez confirmed the split

“I am no longer with ONE. We parted ways amicably and I remain on good terms with the ONE team. I want to thank Chatri [Sityodtong, ONE chairman and CEO] for the opportunity and I look forward to watching their continued success. I’m officially a free agent and ready to hunt.”

The 38-year-old veteran was hopeful in July to get booked for a new bout.

The American participated in a press conference hosted by ONE and Amazon Prime Video in Los Angeles. He announced that he planned to remain there during a question-and-answer session.

Alvarez said: “That’s why I’m in L.A. We’re gonna figure this out while I’m here.”

Alvarez was hoping to become a champion in the promotion.

“The goal has always been the triple crown. ”

“I’ve pretty much become the champion in every organization. That’s always been the main goal from the gate.”

Alvarez switched to ONE FC for a ‘guaranteed 8 figure deal’ .

However, Alvarez’s tenure with ONE has not gone according to plan. At the A New Era event in Tokyo in March 2019, Timofey Nastyukhin knocked him out in the first round of his debut match under the ONE brand.

Four months later, in Manila, he bounced back by defeating Eduard Folayang via submission. This victory earned him a berth in the lightweight Grand Prix final of the promotion. However, he was forced to withdraw due to injury.

After a protracted absence due to the pandemic, Alvarez made his comeback against Iuri Lapicus in April 2021. However, the bout was stopped due to strikes to the back of the head. The outcome was subsequently changed to a no contest.

He would go on to compete against Ok Rae-yoon two weeks later marking the end of his tenure at ONE FC.