Sucker-punching Rangers fan sued over viral knockout along with Madison Square Garden

One of the victims alleged in a complaint that the thug who sucker punched two individuals on his way out of Madison Square Garden during a New York Rangers game in June was “ossified and belligerent.”

James Anastasio assaulted a guy wearing a Tampa Bay Lightning jersey as the fans departed the Garden. This was after the Blueshirts’ 3-1 playoff defeat to the Bolts. Anastasio later entered a plea of guilty and was given an anger management treatment program.

A video of the Tampa fan being knocked out completely caused the event to go viral. Anastasio punched a second guy who attempted to stop him as he tried to get away. The Rangers supporter received a swift lifetime suspension from MSG.

Anastasio and the MSG are now being sued for negligence by Joseph Urciuoli of Connecticut, who claims to have been hit by the Staten Island man.

According to court documents, Urciuoli was hurt “when he was viciously assaulted, attacked and/or struck in the face and head by the ossified and belligerent patron … James Anastasio.”

The Manhattan Supreme Court case filed by Urciuoli alleges that MSG had insufficient protection and allowed Anastasio to get inebriated. The claim demands unspecified damages.

Anastasio’s criminal attorney Jason Goldman said that “none of us should be judged on our worst 30 seconds. He is grateful to learn from this experience without having to spend a single day in jail. While I’m not surprised to learn of this civil suit, it is clearly a last-ditch, money-grab effort against the Garden.”

The arena termed the act “abhorrent” and highlighted that it collaborated with law enforcement for a successful prosecution in the case. They said there were approximately 200 uniformed MSG guards and supervisors, along with 20 NYPD officials, at the stadium for the game.

A Madison Square Garden spokesperson stated in a statement that “our immediate focus was ensuring that the victims received appropriate medical care and that the assailant was taken into custody — which happened in under 30 seconds.”